Tumblr is a multimedia social network owned by Automattic (who bought it from Verizon). Founded in 2007, it focuses on short-form blogging and reposting content to be commented on. It is one of the top ten social networks.
7 Things To Know About Tumblr
- Tumblr is to blogs like Reddit is to forums.
- A short-form blogging site, focussed on commenting & reposting? While Tumblr may sound like a mix of Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter, the culture on there is *very* different from any of them.
- There is far less advertising on Tumblr than on other social networks, but it is there. It takes the form of:- Sponsored Posts
– Sponsored Days (essentially an HPTO)
– Selling Premium Themes
- As of May 2019, there were over 465 million blogs on Tumblr, with 172 billion posts in total (and 21 million more posts created each day).
- Tumblr is an underused social network for social media marketing. Creating a truly interesting or entertaining Tumblelog for your brand has huge potential to reach a very engaged userbase.
- There used to be *a lot* of adult content on Tumblr. However, after a series of incidents in 2018 (inc. being banned by Apple), Tumblr took action and cleaned up.
- Tumblr is filled with niche communities and subcultures with their own in-jokes. If you want to connect with these audiences, learn about them first or you’ll just be ridiculed, ignored, or annoying.