A high concept social network, where users can post 15 seconds videos with a song or audio clip played over the top. Nominally for lip-syncing, videos, users upload all sorts of content with audio clips, and different clips have come to mean specific things on the platform due to this.
Known as Douyin in China, TikTok bought and absorbed another small social network (musical.ly) and has become one of the largest social networks.
7 Things To Know About TikTok
- Unlike other social networks, TikTok is said to have a strong supportive community, with far more positivity and far fewer trolls. Let’s hope it lasts!
- As of January 2020, TikTok had 800 million active users worldwide (including 30 million in the US).
- 70% of Tiktok users are 16-24! It has the youngest user base of any major social network.
- As well as lip-syncing and comedy videos, TikTok has a massive amount of educational accounts. For example, Jon Torres has an excellent Digital Marketing channel on there.
- According to Influence Marketing Hub, TikTok had (by far) the highest engagement rates of any social network in 2019. Cloutmeter puts average engagement at 52%!
- TikTok indexes videos by the soundtrack. Users can pick from a list of songs, or use the track from another video to accompany their own.
- TikTok is an international version of the Chinese social network Douyin, which merged with musical.ly to become the powerhouse it is today.
- Simple TikTok Strategies for Brands
- TikTok Engagement Rate Calculator
- Influencer Definition
- Social Media Marketing Guide
- Top Social Networks