Launched in 2005, Reddit is one of the top ten largest social networks in the world. Reddit is made up of sub-forums (called subreddits) which span a huge variety of topics. Many of these subreddits are the home to large and distinct online communities, while others can be functional hubs for a topic or simply fun ideas.
Subreddits are allowed to have their own rules and moderators, however, these are subject to Reddit’s sitewide rules enforced by its own moderators.
Reddit refers to itself as the “Frontpage of the internet” as so many jokes, interesting facts, and stories originate there. This is powered by Reddit having a system where users can upvote (or downvote), with the most popular posts being ‘promoted’ to the homepage of the site. Once on the homepage, users from across the site can see a post, where previously it would have been confined to being viewed by users of a particular subreddit.
7 Things To Know About Reddit
- Reddit is the 7th most visited site in the world and has over 1.2 million subreddits on it. It has over 150 million daily page views.
- Reddit *can* be a great opportunity for digital marketers… if they’re not jerks about it. Be helpful, be interesting, be a real person, and follow the rules.
- Since its launch in 2005, Reddit has only spent $500 in total on ads.
- If you’re new to Reddit, take a minute to understand what it’s about before getting stuck in – build your credibility before starting to promote your own stuff. You can only make one first impression (on a subreddit, as in life).
- If you’re an *actual* expert on something you could start an AMA (“Ask Me Anything”) where Redditors ask you questions (and for help and advice). This can be an incredibly effective marketing tool.
- Subreddits can have vastly different cultures. Read the rules and respect where you’re at.
- There are a huge variety of topics covered on Reddit. Look hard enough and you’ll find a subreddit for you.