What is a 320×50?
The 320×50 ad unit is an IAB Mobile standard ad unit with the dimensions of 320 pixels wide by 50 pixels tall.
This ad size is known as a Mobile Leaderboard or Smartphone Leaderboard. It is the big brother of the 300×50, which is known as a Mobile Banner.
A 320×50 ad unit is most commonly used as an ad on mobile phones. It is listed as one of the top performers on AdSense.
What it looks like
The mobile leaderboard dimensions are 320 x 50 pixels. Below is a live example of this ad unit.
Note: The live ad may not always load for technical reasons, and instead a backup image will show.
320×50 Advice for Site Owners
A 320×50 is listed as a top performing ad unit by Google AdSense, so is definitely worth a shot for new websites. This fact alone means it should certainly be implemented instead of the smaller 300×50 if possible.
It is unlikely to be your largest revenue driver as it is not a very large ad. It is however a very good way to monetise mobile ad impressions.
Note: To avoid annoying your users, it is generally advised to run these ads with a way to close them. On Google AdSense, they are set as Anchor ads – meaning they slide into view at the bottom of the page, and can’t be swiped away.
320×50 Advice for Ad Buyers
320x50s are one of the smallest ad sizes. They can be effective if used right, and often don’t cost that much to run. They are especially useful as they can hit users at a different point than usual desktop ads, and as they are accepted by AdSense there is plenty of inventory available.
To get the most out of a 320×50, make sure you have a concise message to convey and simple clear graphics. This way you can get your message across in a tiny space.
7 Things To Know About Mobile Leaderboards
- It’s a solid choice for display ads on mobile sites.
- Larger ads perform better on Desktop, but on Mobile you have to be a bit more wary of taking up an annoyingly large amount of space.
- You get 16,000 pixels of space to make your point. Don’t waste it!
- These ads are often sold as anchor units – meaning they stay stuck to the bottom of the screen as you scroll.
- 320 pixels is about as wide as you can go on a mobile screen without making people have to scroll horizontally.
- This ad unit is just about tall enough for a single line of text. Don’t overstuff it!
- This ad unit is available at scale, and for cheap. Factor that in when judging results – look at CPA or CPC not CPM.